Have you joined my incredibly non-annoying, once-in-a-while email newsletter?
1) Thank people. Not just when they do something. Thank them randomly. When you finish reading this post, send an email to your best client, thanking them for being your best client.
2) Read a new website you’ve never read before.
3) Go to the manufacturer’s website, and download the PDF of the manual for a piece of electronic equipment you own. Learn something new the device can do that you didn’t know it could do before. Use that knowledge to save time or help someone else.
4) Learn about affiliate codes. Even if you don’t have a book to sell or a product to push, you probably recommend and advise on purchases to other people and clients. Even if you do something as simple as registering for an Amazon affiliate account, you can sell a few items through there and earn a few bucks – Perhaps enough to buy a movie, perhaps enough to buy a new piece of software, perhaps enough to make a dent in that new home upgrade you want.
5) Upgrade your living quarters. Whether it’s buying a new TV, or using Freecycle or similar to get something new in your house, adding a new thing is a great way to break out of a rut.
6) Get rid of something you don’t use anymore. Take something you don’t use but don’t want to get rid of just yet. Hide it somewhere in our home or office where it’s not easily accessible. If you haven’t needed it in a month, it’s time to get rid of it. Donate it, sell it, or leave it by the curb.
7) Stop at the local drug store and buy a 1-pound bag of candy. Put it in a bowl, and put the bowl on your desk. You’re instantly more popular at the office. Bonus: Don’t eat all the damn candy yourself.
8) Bring in a dozen cupcakes to the office tomorrow, just because.
9) If you have a pet, brush him or her for 30 minutes. Not only will the pet be in a state of bliss, but studies have shown that it’ll actually lower your blood pressure.
10) Tell someone how important they are to you. Tomorrow it might be too late.